Saturday, July 24, 2010

Beets with soy, garlic and scallion vinaigrette



People don't often think of beets with Asian flavors but they are great with this simple sweet, salty and tangy dressing of soy sauce, garlic, and scallions.  Serve alongside meals with Asian flavors, like a simple stir fry and rice, to round out your meal.

You can use this simple vinaigrette over lots of vegetables - try it with thick slices of cucumbers as a side, or use it to dress a simple salad of greens, watercress, cucumbers, carrots, onions, tomatoes, and some hard-boiled eggs.  This was one of the salads I grew up eating most - so good!
  • 1 large bunch of beets, trimmed
Boil beets in a medium saucepan until tender.  Drain and soak in cold water to cool down for about 5 minutes.  Slip of skins and cut beets into wedges.  Dress while the beets are still warm to soak up the flavors.  Let the beets sit for anywhere from 30 min. to overnight before serving.

Soy, garlic and scallion vinaigrette
  • 3 Tbsp. soy sauce
  • 3 Tbsp. white vinegar
  • 4 Tbsp. canola oil
  • 2 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1/2-1 tsp. Sriracha, depending on your taste for heat
  • 1 large clove of garlic, finely minced
  • 1 scallion, thinly sliced
  • 1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
Whisk all ingredients together until sugar is dissolved.  Taste and adjust seasoning to your own tastes - I like it pretty tangy with vinegar, but feel free to whisk in more oil to balance the flavors.

12 comments:

  1. You are right I would have never associated beets with Asian cuisine, European yes of course. I love beets and just bought ,,, well a little to many. I'm going to try your recipe out tonight. Will let you know, thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Spicie Foodie - let me know how you like them! They are great as a side with any Asian dish with a little bit of rice to soak up the dressing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love beets and have been experimenting a little with them. I found them to be great in curries, but I wouldn't have thought of doing them in an asian dish. Now I have to try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm one of those who really likes Sriracha . . will definitely try this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks beautiful and delish. I am now going to put beets on my farmers market list. Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love this version. yep normally don't associate this with asian foods but Indians do love their beets :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I really love this... The flavors sound amazing. Well dressed beets :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shree- would love to an Indian recipe for beets! Please share :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Tam,
    Just wanted to let you know that I LOVEd it! It was so delicious. In fact I let it sit overnight and the next day when I went to taste it, I just ate it all :) I only made a small portion with one beet so I don't feel like such a piggy, hehe. I would love to try it again and would love to feature it on my blog. I will keep you posted. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Spicie Foodie - glad to hear that you loved the dish! I think it's a great way to do something a little different with beets, and seriously, you can use the vinaigrette with lot of different veggies to do kind of a quick pickle kind of thing, or as a salad dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Crazy for beets this summer, after growing them in my garden for the first time! We've been eating them with a little goat cheese, toasted walnuts, arugula and a thick whole-grained mustard balsamic vinaigrette dressing I make...but I love this concept as well! Thinking this would be great with some carrots added in... Headed back to farmers market next week for more beets. Sadly, our small crop is now depleted!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love beets and will definitely give this a try!

    ReplyDelete