This salad is inspired by one served at Birdbath by City Bakery in SoHo. It's a lunchtime favorite - raw kale, red onions, toasted hazelnuts and a little cheese. This salad benefits from being dressed a little bit before serving so the kale almost marinates a bit and softens up a little.
- 1 bunch lacinato or black kale (also sometimes called dino kale), sliced crosswise into thin ribbons
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup crumbled ricotta salata or feta cheese, more if you like
- 3 Tbsp. hazelnut or olive oil (or a mixture if you like)
- 3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. high quality aged balsamic
- 2 tsp. kosher salt, more to taste
In a large salad bowl, mix the sliced kale with the remaining 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar, 3 Tbsp. olive oil, 1 Tbsp. of aged balsamic vinegar, and 1 tsp. salt. Add the sliced onions and vinegar to the bowl and mix everything together well. Let sit about half an hour before serving.
When you are ready to serve, add the hazlenuts and ricotta salata and toss well. Taste and adjust seasoning with a little more salt or balsamic vinegar if you like.