It snowed ALL DAY yesterday in Brooklyn - crazy! Big fat, wet snowflakes. It looked pretty messy out there - I did not leave the apartment :) Not a ton stuck around but this is what it looked like this morning afterwards when the sky was super blue, clear and sunny.
So, in honor of the snow, I made soup this morning.
|Kale, sausage and cannellini bean soup|
Kale, sausage and white bean soup - big pot :)
- 6 -7 cups chicken broth
- 1 pkg. italian sausage links - 5 or so
- 1 large bunch of kale (thick ribs removed), chopped - probably about 5 - 6 cups of chopped kale
- 2 cans cannellini, white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- good pinch of red chili flakes
- olive oil for sauteeing
- salt to taste - start with 1-1/2 tsp. and go from there
- Serve with cooked pasta of your choice - macaroni, shells, etc.
Add sausage links and brown on each side a few minutes.
Add kale and carefully stir in and let it start to wilt, add a sprinkle of salt, cook a few minutes.
Add beans, broth and a little more salt, and let everything come to a low boil.
Turn heat down and simmer until kale is tender. Taste and adjust seasoning.
Remove sausage links and slice and add back to soup.
Serve with a little cooked pasta (stir pasta into soup or pour soup over a little pasta), and a drizzle of good olive oil and some grated parmigiano reggiano or pecorino on top.